June 11, 2013
June 4, 2013
May 29, 2013
May 22, 2013
Vermont man charged in 2011 Lebanon fatality
HAVERHILL — A 52-year-old Newbury, Vt., man is facing a negligent homicide charge in connection with a February 2011 crash in Lebanon.
Police say a logging trailer came loose from Brewster Thurston’s truck and crossed Route 4, striking a van and killing its driver, an Enfield man.
More than a year after the collision that claimed the life of Richard Rouleau, 59, a Grafton County Superior Court grand jury handed up an indictment against Thurston, of Route 5 in Newbury.
According to the indictment, Thurston failed to “properly secure a log trailer to a 1996 Western star truck he was operating on Route 4.”
Rouleau was pronounced dead at the scene of the early morning crash.
George Ostler, of Norwich, Vt., became Thurston’s defense attorney this week.
He declined Thursday to answer questions regarding the particulars of the state’s case against Thurston
“I just have been retained. I haven’t seen the police report yet. He was just indicted. I’m not familiar enough with the case to comment at this point,” Ostler said.
Rouleau was headed west on the highway, and was not far from his Enfield home when he encountered the runaway trailer.
Thurston was not injured.
Relatives of Rouleau could not be reached for comment.
- - - - - - - -
Bob Hookway may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 12
- Rochester woman under arrest in underage party - 0
- Mass. police officer indicted in Salem sex assault - 2
- Russian national indicted over phony debit, credit cards - 0
- Hampton man indicted for distributing child porn - 0
- Mother of drowned baby gets prison time - 6
- Former Londonderry coach indicted in sex assault of two girls - 1
- Manchester resident interrupts burglary - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Recent 'Fugitive of the Week' Michelle Smith captured in Nashua - 0
- UPDATED: Senate, House negotiators mull compromise plan to narrowly align state insurance rules with 'Obamacare' - 1
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 16
- UPDATE: Salem student receives minor injuries in bus crash - 0
- House proposes special session to decide Medicaid expansion - 3
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 4
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 1
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 2
- Exeter High teachers' resignations announced at meeting - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424