Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Garnett reportedly gets three-year deal to stay in Boston
Kevin Garnett will return to the Boston Celtics after agreeing to a three-year contract Saturday, according to multiple reports.
The Celtics star will earn $34 million with the new deal, Yahoo!Sports and the Boston Herald reported.
"The decision came down to whether KG wanted to keep playing," a source closed to the negotiations told the Herald. "And once he decided that he did, it was going to be Boston. He wasn't going to leave Doc (Rivers) and those guys and play anywhere else."
Garnett, 36, earned $21 million last season with the Celtics as he averaged 15.8 points and 8.2 rebounds in helping them reach the Eastern Conference finals. He averaged 19.2 points and 10.3 rebounds in the playoffs.
The 17-year veteran was considering retirement after this season. However, he seemed rejuvenated this season when coach Doc Rivers moved him from power forward to center.
With the free-agent negotiating period beginning Sunday, the Celtics' next pressing need is deciding whether to bring back guard Ray Allan and forward Brandon Bass.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Clippers, Celtics resume talks on Doc, Garnett deal - 0
- NBA Finals: Big Three power Heat to series-tying win over Spurs - 0
- Heat turn 33-5 run into Game 2 win - 0
- James' triple-double not enough as Spurs win Finals opener - 0
- Celtics' impobable rally falls short as Knicks take series - 0
- Celtics remain alive with win over Knicks - 0
- Celtics' objective against Knicks: Make it to Friday - 0
- Celtics beat Knicks in OT, force Game 5 - 0
- Knicks push Celtics to the brink - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- House and Senate reach budget accord - 0
- Russian national indicted over phony debit, credit cards - 0
- Road to Recovery helps America's heroes - 0
- Valenti Modified Series back at it - 0
- Seabrook scores in OT to give Blackhawks win, series tie - 0
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 31
- Hellickson, Rays handcuff Red Sox - 0
- Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air - 0
- Fisher Cats drop second straight - 0
House and Senate reach budget accord
Manipulating NH: Bloomberg and the terrorist
Tax credit math: Who owns your money?
Drones and privacy: Debate just taking off