Phelps won't race in 200 freestyle event
BALTIMORE — Michael Phelps will not chase eight gold medals at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. His coach Bob Bowman tweeted late Monday morning that the Olympian will not race in the 200-meter freestyle, giving him a slate of seven events in London.
“I think it's just smarter,” Phelps said Monday. “Sort of thinking of everything and thinking how things went here, I think it's just a better option for me to be able to swim as best I can. And it's going to give me the best opportunity to swim well. Being able to take those three 200s out, it's going to give me a little more energy for the other events and an extra day to recover from the 400 IM, and the 200 fly obviously is something that's important to me and that's the next day as well.”
Phelps qualified for his fifth individual event, the 100-meter butterfly, at the U.S. Olympic swimming trials Sunday. He is scheduled to swim in all three relays, which would have put Phelps in the same eight races he won at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.
“(Phelps) will be removing the individual 200 freestyle from his Olympic program,” Bowman tweeted. “This will give him a full slate of 7 events.
“This change will allow him to focus more energy on relays for Team USA.”
Phelps' seven events now are: the 100 and 200-meter butterfly, 200 and 400-meter individual medley, 400-meter freestyle relay, 800-meter freestyle relay and 400-meter medley relay
“The possibility of adding three relays, it ends up being a lot,” Phelps said. “This isn't another Beijing; this is London. ... It depends on how big of a cherry I want to put on the top of my sundae, and I think what I have right now is plenty big.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Exeter teachers were kids' favorites - 6
- Jury overrules panel, awards malpractice verdict in son's death - 21
- Judge continues case against Keene parking meter 'Robin Hoods' - 35
- Teen told no fish story: He's the official derby winner - 0
- Pembroke man's family stunned by his shooting by Manchester police - 0
- New Conway library director coming from Manchester - 0
- Updated: Old Epping cemetery disturbed - 0
- Naturalization ceremony welcomes 26 new Americans - 1
- Pinkerton students pause to remember Lt. Paul DeMeo - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Recent 'Fugitive of the Week' Michelle Smith captured in Nashua - 0
- UPDATED: Senate, House negotiators mull compromise plan to narrowly align state insurance rules with 'Obamacare' - 1
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 17
- UPDATE: Salem student receives minor injuries in bus crash - 0
- 21 in Concord wake to find their tires slashed - 0
- House proposes special session to decide Medicaid expansion - 3
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 12
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 4
Tax credit math: Who owns your money?
Drones and privacy: Debate just taking off
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840