Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Yankees' red-hot Jones burns Red Sox again
Red-hot Andruw Jones homered for the fourth time in three games and drove in three runs as visiting New York took three of four from arch-rival Boston.
Ivan Nova (10-3) struck out 10 and allowed two runs (one earned) on six hits in six innings as the Yankees stretched their lead in the American League East to seven games and widened their gap over the Red Sox to 9 1/2 games.
Mark Teixeira and Nick Swisher each had two hits and an RBI to send New York into the All-Star break with the best record in the majors at 52-33.
Derek Jeter overcame a shaky night in the field with three hits for the Yankees, who scored 14 first-inning runs in the series and improved to 5-1 against Boston this season.
Red Sox ace Jon Lester (5-6) had another subpar outing, lasting only 4 1/3 innings and giving up five runs - four earned - on nine hits.
With the Yankees holding a 3-2 lead in the fifth, Alex Rodriguez tripled home a run and scoring on Jones' single for a 5-2 lead.
Jones then unloaded with a two-run blast off Scott Atchison in the seventh inning, his fourth in two days, to put the game out of reach.
Pedro Ciriaco had three hits and David Ortiz and Mike Aviles each drove in a run for Boston, which has lost six of seven to drop to .500 (43-43) on the season.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Yankees 2B Robinson Cano extended his hitting streak to 15 games with a ninth-inning double. ... Red Sox 1B Adrian Gonzalez left the game in the third inning because of flu-like symptoms. He struck out in his only at-bat, snapping his career-high 18-game hitting streak. ... Jones' homer was the 431st of his career, tying him with Cal Ripken Jr. for 41st on the all-time list. ... Red Sox RHP Clay Buchholz pitched 2 1/3 scoreless innings Sunday and will return to the rotation Saturday. He has been out with a gastrointestinal condition. ... Yankees ace CC Sabathia (groin) threw 43 pitches in a bullpen session Sunday and reported no issues. He is scheduled to pitch a simulated game Friday.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Winnipesaukee watershed association looking to raise its profile - 0
- New Ipswich cemetery’s future is anybody guess after state objects to graves - 1
- Goffstown artisan gives new face to Wolfeboro tower - 0
- Town may have to fix grave error - 3
- Updated: Winning Powerball ticket sold in Fla.; 2, $1M tickets sold in NH - 0
- No more Winni whoppers: Fishing Derby winner will have to take lie detector test - 11
- Learning the way of the gun in Wakefield - 2
- Peterborough's renovated Adams Pool to open in June - 0
- Supreme Court says Manchester man who lost towed car while hospitalized can sue - 4
READER COMMENTS: 5
- Updated: NH House defies Hassan, kills casino bill by 35-vote margin - 19
- Threats at Goffstown High ‘not credible’ - 0
- House votes to ban lead sinkers and jigs an ounce or under - 9
- House passes auto dealers bill of rights - 2
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 1
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 9
- FBI agent kills Florida man during questioning about Marathon bombing suspect - 3
License revocations for DWI announced
Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands