Home » News » Public Safety
Two city blazes displace 13
MANCHESTER - More than a dozen people are temporarily without homes after two separate fires, one in a Lake Avenue apartment building early Friday morning and the other in a Brickett Road ranch-style home early Thursday evening.
District Chief James Michael said the fire on the second floor of 396 Lake Ave. was reported at 4:03 a.m. and firefighters had it under control 18 minutes later.
Fire crews pulled down ceiling tiles to get at the fire that had been smouldering above for some time, Michael explained, resulting in heavy smoke damage to the apartment and water damage throughout the building. He estimated damage at $30,000.
The American Red Cross Disaster Action Team is assisting the six adults and six children affected and provided emergency aid at the scene. Michael said he expects tenants will be able to return sometime next week after repairs are made and electrical wiring is checked. The building is owned by Moustafa Yousif Omar.
About 6:15 p.m. Thursday, firefighters were sent to 236 Brickett Road for a kitchen fire.
Michael said a grease fire started on the stove and flames spread when the owner tried to move the pan to a kitchen sink. He estimated damage at $20,000 and said the home, owned by Steven C. George, also is uninhabitable.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 5
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 1
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 0
- Asphalt truck overturns in Jaffrey - 0
- Police to educate Manchester motorists on distracted driving - 7
- Bird's nest may have caused house fire in Hudson - 1
- New Ipswich man burned in garage fire, flown to Boston - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: BG girls’ tennis team sweeps Pinkerton - 0
- NHIAA box scores, summaries for May 22 - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 0
- Manchester Community College graduates told ‘speak your minds’ - 0
- Portsmouth manhunt suspect turns himself in to police - 0
- Nurse said Exeter Hospital is making her a ‘scapegoat’ in hepatitis case - 0
- Derry council defends officials' purchases - 0
- Nashua librarian reports E-books flying off virtual shelves - 0
Plaistow fire victim remains critical
George Will: The NLRB’s school-door stand
Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands