Home » News » Public Safety
Tractor-trailer cab burns on I-93
MANCHESTER — The cab of a tractor-trailer truck loaded with broccoli burst into flames on Interstate 93 Saturday morning, causing traffic delays in both directions of the highway.
The rig was heading south on I-93 in Manchester, just after Exit 9 when the driver smelled smoke in the cab and saw sparks from the engine compartment, fire officials said.
Brian Lee, 49, of Quebec, pulled his vehicle to the breakdown lane and got out. While he was checking the truck, it burst into flame. Lee was not hurt.
Manchester fire crews put the fire out, but had to block the highway for a brief period. After the fire, diesel fuel leaked from the truck and environmental crews were called in, which forced one lane to remain closed.
Curiosity caused delays on the northbound side, where traffic was already heavy.
The fire destroyed the sleeper cab of the truck. Fire officials said Lee carried many of his possessions in the truck, and they were also destroyed.
When a wrecking crew was trying to remove the truck, the remaining fuel leaked out.
The broccoli was en route to a supermarket distribution facility in Massachusetts.
The state Department of Agriculture was called in to condemn the broccoli.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 0
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 0
- N.J. woman injured in Moultonborough motorcycle crash - 1
- Danville police chief pleads not guilty in firearms case - 1
- Man burned in North Hampton camper fire - 2
- Lost teen hikers found safe in Brookline - 0
- Manchester woman injured in fall from back of motorcycle - 0
- Motorcyclist arrested for driving up to 152 mph - 32
- One hurt, one charged in ATV accident - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Storms knock out power to about 3,600 PSNH customers - 0
- Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious - 0
- American Medical Response back in good graces of key Manchester officials - 0
- Lebanon’s Colette Schmidt captures N.E. girls’ golf tourney crown - 0
- Sixteen make cut at State Am qualifying - 0
- Granite Stater Matt Bonner in position for another NBA title - 0
- Clippers, Celtics resume talks on Doc, Garnett deal - 0
- Hampton man indicted for distributing child porn - 0
- Mother of drowned baby gets prison time - 0
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Epping man’s hope for working van realized
Traffic stops in spotlight
One era ends, another begins at Union Leader
A Medicaid reduction? That is not likely
Study recommends Millyard parking garage