Home » News » Public Safety
Tractor-trailer cab burns on I-93
MANCHESTER — The cab of a tractor-trailer truck loaded with broccoli burst into flames on Interstate 93 Saturday morning, causing traffic delays in both directions of the highway.
The rig was heading south on I-93 in Manchester, just after Exit 9 when the driver smelled smoke in the cab and saw sparks from the engine compartment, fire officials said.
Brian Lee, 49, of Quebec, pulled his vehicle to the breakdown lane and got out. While he was checking the truck, it burst into flame. Lee was not hurt.
Manchester fire crews put the fire out, but had to block the highway for a brief period. After the fire, diesel fuel leaked from the truck and environmental crews were called in, which forced one lane to remain closed.
Curiosity caused delays on the northbound side, where traffic was already heavy.
The fire destroyed the sleeper cab of the truck. Fire officials said Lee carried many of his possessions in the truck, and they were also destroyed.
When a wrecking crew was trying to remove the truck, the remaining fuel leaked out.
The broccoli was en route to a supermarket distribution facility in Massachusetts.
The state Department of Agriculture was called in to condemn the broccoli.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Plaistow fire victim remains critical - 0
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 6
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 2
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 0
- Asphalt truck overturns in Jaffrey - 0
- Police to educate Manchester motorists on distracted driving - 7
- Bird's nest may have caused house fire in Hudson - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- White powder in Salem shipping container posed no serious risks - 0
- 65 mph OK for E-ZPass drivers with opening of new lanes at Hooksett toll plaza - 0
- Updated: NH Senate kills House-passed gas, tobacco tax hikes - 1
- Senate Finance Committee rejects Medicaid expansion - 11
- Man wielding pipe robs Cumberland Farms in Goffstown - 0
- Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win - 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 30
- NHIAA Roundup: BG girls’ tennis team sweeps Pinkerton - 0
- NHIAA box scores, summaries for May 22 - 0
License revocations for DWI announced