Home » News » Public Safety
Elm Street office building evacuated due to gas leak
MANCHESTER — An office building in downtown Manchester was evacuated this morning when a construction worker cut into a 2-inch natural gas pipe, a city fire official said.
About 50 people were outside for about 40 minutes and returned about 9:20 a.m., as firefighters closed valves and measured gas levels inside the building. The building, 1100 Elm St., houses the Social Security Administration and financial service companies.
District Fire Chief Jim Michael said gas-air concentrations were kept low because the building was being vented as part of an asbestos-removal project. The worker was removing a boiler when he cut the line, Michael said.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Concord police stun, arrest gun rights protester after officer touched on shoulder - 108
- Horsing around: Manchester students name police horse - 1
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 2
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
- N.J. woman injured in Moultonborough motorcycle crash - 1
READER COMMENTS: 5
- UPDATE: Salem student receives minor injuries in bus crash - 0
- 21 in Concord wake to find their tires slashed - 0
- House proposes special session to decide Medicaid expansion - 2
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 4
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 1
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 2
- Exeter High teachers' resignations announced at meeting - 0
- Rochester woman under arrest in underage party - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time