Home » News » Public Safety
Motorcyclist dies following Merrimack crash
MERRIMACK - A 58-year-old man has died from injuries he suffered in a serious motorcycle accident that snarled traffic for hours on Friday.
Police say a 2002 Harley-Davidson motorcycle and a 2004 Jeep Liberty collided at the intersection of Baboosic Lake Road and O’Gara Drive shortly after 10 a.m. near the town’s police station and Merrimack High School.
Police, fire and ambulance crews responded to the crash, finding the male driver of the motorcycle unconscious at the scene, according to police.
“The motorcyclist had serious bodily injuries,” Capt. Peter Albert said Friday afternoon, declining to elaborate on what type of injuries he had sustained. The motorcyclist was transported to St. Joseph Hospital in Nashua, where he was later pronounced dead. The female driver of the Jeep, Cynthia Martin, 60, of Merrimack, was not injured, said Albert.
Police said the motorcyclist was not wearing a helmet at the time of the accident.
The department’s accident investigation team remained at the crash scene for several hours, trying to determine the cause of the collision, which was still under investigation Friday afternoon, said police.
“We are interviewing a couple of people,” Albert said, explaining there were witnesses to the collision.
A portion of Baboosic Lake Road was closed for four hours while the scene was cleared. At Merrimack High School, students leaving the school at the end of the day were initially diverted onto another roadway until Baboosic Lake Road was reopened to both lanes of traffic around 2:15 p.m. School bus traffic was also briefly altered during the afternoon commute, said police.
Authorities did not identify the deceased motorcyclist, as family members were still being notified of the accident on Friday.
Anyone who may have seen the accident, or who can provide additional details, are asked to contact Lt. Dan Edmonds at the Merrimack Police Department, 603-424-3774.
READER COMMENTS: 67
- Horsing around: Manchester students name police horse - 1
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 2
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
- N.J. woman injured in Moultonborough motorcycle crash - 1
- Danville police chief pleads not guilty in firearms case - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 3
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 0
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 0
- Exeter High teachers' resignations announced at meeting - 0
- Rochester woman under arrest in underage party - 0
- LeBron, Heat edge Spurs in OT, force Game 7 - 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 2
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 3
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time