Sarah Long Bridge reopened to traffic
New Hampshire Department of Transportation spokesman Bill Boynton said Sunday night that DOT crews completed the last safety tests on the bridge late Sunday afternoon, and that the bridge was reopened to vehicular and maritime traffic around 7 p.m.
Repair work on the Sarah Mildred Long bridge continued to progress Friday, but state transportation officials said it still remains unclear when the red-listed bridge will re-open to both vehicular and maritime traffic.
The bridge's center span became stuck one foot out of position on Wednesday, forcing its closure since then. Larger vessels were prohibited from traveling underneath it, and cars from driving over it.
With the new Memorial Bridge under construction, until the repairs to the Sarah Long Bridge were completed, the only bridge open to vehicular traffic between Portsmouth and Kittery, Maine, was the Piscataqua River Bridge on Interstate 95.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Stark Covered Bridge repairs underway, to be completed in Spring 2015 - 0
- Londonderry allows DOT to assume management of Exit 4A project - 0
- DOT orders bridge closure in West Swanzey - 0
- Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A - 0
- Traffic change Wednesday for Keene State move-in day - 0
- Historic Blair Bridge in Campton reopened - 1
- Creative ways to finance rail in NH pushed - 11
- Hudson grapples with traffic concerns as industrial park grows - 0
- Nashua transportation roundtable event canceled - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dyn hosts high school programmers for 'Hack-A-Palooza' competition - 0
- Deliberations begin in trial of former Derry man accused of sex assault - 0
- Mazzaglia pleads guilty to devising escape plan - 0
- Parking lot for new Hudson football field due to be paved - 0
- ACLU files federal suit to stop NH's 'ballot selfie' publishing law - 0
- Manchester pair arrested for fighting in Merrimack parking lot - 0
- Nashua man who was shot by officer sentenced to 5-10 years - 0
- Election Day hotline established to report suspected voter fraud, abuse - 2
- Nashua man charged in child sexual assault - 0
School's out for voters
Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four