Home » News » Roads and Travel
Sarah Long Bridge reopened to traffic
New Hampshire Department of Transportation spokesman Bill Boynton said Sunday night that DOT crews completed the last safety tests on the bridge late Sunday afternoon, and that the bridge was reopened to vehicular and maritime traffic around 7 p.m.
Repair work on the Sarah Mildred Long bridge continued to progress Friday, but state transportation officials said it still remains unclear when the red-listed bridge will re-open to both vehicular and maritime traffic.
The bridge's center span became stuck one foot out of position on Wednesday, forcing its closure since then. Larger vessels were prohibited from traveling underneath it, and cars from driving over it.
With the new Memorial Bridge under construction, until the repairs to the Sarah Long Bridge were completed, the only bridge open to vehicular traffic between Portsmouth and Kittery, Maine, was the Piscataqua River Bridge on Interstate 95.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal - 4
- Bedford’s road bond: A good deal for a big fix - 1
- Legislative ethics: NH way works better than most - 0
- Blue shame: Obamacare's big change - 18
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 21
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 10
- Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again - 2
- Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council - 1
- Insurance exchange: NH Dems, GOP switch sides - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Poll activity slow but steady in Londonderry - 0
- Manchester police recover $2,000 worth of painkillers in drug arrest - 0
- 600 votes cast in Hudson by midday - 0
- Man dies after officer-involved Rochester shooting - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Nashua school members' letter prompts an apology - 0
- UNH Law named a top 100 law school in magazine’s rankings - 0
- Musher Seavey wins Alaska's Iditarod dogsled race; woman with NH ties finishes second - 0
- UPDATE: Hudson police standoff ends; person in custody - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus