Sure a shamrock I'll be wearin',
'Tis in honor of old Erin,
And bad cess to that gossoon who scowls at me.
For this cherished, small possession
Is an eloquent profession,
That my faith is as St. Patrick's used to be.
It's a part of Irish history,
A token of a mystery,
A badge I'll wear commingled with few fears.
It recalls a nation's glories,
And that host of bitter Tories
Who denied her freedom, seven hundred years.
It's a modest plant, symbolic
Of the Kerry dancers' frolic
In the storied glens where love's young dream was born,
And of whispered words at parting,
When the wars would be astarting,
Where the valiant fell, the women left to mourn.
It's a minstrel's song, a sadness,
And a colleen, and a gladness,
It's the sight of things that really are unseen,
A parade with roar and rumble,
And a thing that keeps one humble,
It's St. Patrick's Day, the wearin' o the green.
It's the years of persecution,
And a soggarth's absolution,
It's the hush that comes at Sanctus out in Clare.
It's the blackthorn of O'Mara,
And a moonbeam over Tara,
It's the fragrance of the roses in Kildare.
It's the starlight that is falling
When the River Shannon's calling,
And the heart that aches for beauty heeds the call,
It's a deeply burning sorrow,
And a prayer that some tomorrow
Will return a prodigal to Donegal.
It's a mystic, shining portal
To the land of the immortal,
Where you talk with Dan O'Connells every day,
Where there's little lust for power,
Where there's glory in an hour,
If your name's like Hurley, Manahan, or Shea.
It's a mist around Killarney,
The shillelagh, and the blarney
It's a rosary, the tinkle of a bell,
It's some candlelight agleaming,
It's a sighing and a dreaming
Of a love that has forever cast a spell.
Some sad hour you may find me,
As I leave this world behind me,
Whisht, I know there'll be some stardust in my eyes,
With the leprechauns beguiling,
There'll be tears but there'll be smiling,
For I'll see a three-leafed shamrock in the skies.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sandy Hook mom to talk Nov. 5 at Nashua church - 0
- Peterborough church plan advances after land buy - 0
- St. Charles Church in Dover to be torn down - 2
- Tibetan monks make peace offering in Peterborough - 0
- Parishes to show support for priests this weekend - 0
- Bedford church helps African missionaries - 0
- Churches turn to social media to reach people - 0
- Salem church a step closer to expanded feeding capability - 0
- Beloved pastor, Citizen of the Year dies - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Habib's City Sports: St. Thomas coach: I owe Central - 0
- Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison - 0
- 'Bingo hunting' police use random license plate checks to make arrest - 0
- Bedford police investigating burglary at Verizon Wireless store - 0
- Police: Manchester man charged with endangering child after going 101 mph - 0
- FairPoint customer concerned about blocked emails - 0
- Plaistow narrows field in search for its new police chief - 0
- Man faces robbery, assault charges after extradition from NY - 0
- Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs - 0
Hockey brought them together; Hooksett ice rink will serve as NH couple's 'church' for wedding
Dartmouth women skaters beat Union
NH Audubon's Rare Bird Alert
Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison
Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs