Monarchs' climb gets tougher with Sunday loss to Providence
For the second straight game, the Monarchs couldn't generate offense, falling to Atlantic Division-leading Providence, 3-1, at the Dunkin' Donuts Center on Sunday.
Manchester (29-26-3-4) is in 10th place in the Eastern Conference with 65 points. Manchester, with 14 games left, is tied for ninth with Albany and is three points behind seventh-place teams Hershey and Connecticut. The top eight teams qualify for the conference playoffs.
"We actually played fairly well," said Monarchs head coach Mark Morris. "The result wasn't great but I felt we competed a lot harder and tried to execute the details of the game."
Manchester opened the three-game weekend with a 3-2 home win against Bridgeport on Friday. On Saturday, the Monarchs were 0-for-7 on the power play and lost 3-0 to the host Whale.
Manchester tied the game Sunday with a goal by center Jordan Weal at 12:48 of the second period.
Center Ryan Spooner regained the lead (2-1) for the Bruins with a goal at 19:58 of the second period. Graham Mink made it 3-1 in the third period. The Bruins' first-period tally was from Maxime Suave.
Monarchs goaltender Jean-Francois Berube, making his first start since April 11, 2010, stopped 34 shots.
The Monarchs play next on Wednesday at Springfield.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ian Clark's Monarchs Notebook: Berube makes most of his shot - 0
- Red-hot Monarchs top Wolf Pack on the road - 0
- Deslauriers comes through in the Nick of time for Monarchs - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Rookie makes most of chance - 0
- Monarchs cut Ullrich - 0
- Monarchs fall in Sunday shootout - 0
- Sabourin's two goals pace Monarchs past P-Bruins - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs' 'kids' get job done - 0
- Monarchs roll past Sharks, 4-1 - 0
READER COMMENTS: 6
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 0
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 1
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 0
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 0
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released