In snow, many work from home
Thanks to the Internet, social media and technology, employers are becoming more comfortable with letting their employees stay home and wrestle with a keyboard and video hookup, rather than brave slippery roads to get to work on time.
At Dyn, a Millyard-based Internet services company, employees have the option of working from home or taking a personal day whenever Manchester schools close, said Michael Taylor, community outreach coordinator for the company.
"This is an incredibly valuable policy for our employees, especially ones with young families and kids whose schools were likely impacted by the weather too," he said.
Stephanie Lewry, director of Intown Manchester, said downtown parking garages were nearly empty Tuesday, an indication that many companies tell their workers not to come in.
"This is an absolute huge change between now and 10 years ago when we had a snow storm," she said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mid-April freezing and flooding give Granite Staters a rude awakening - 0
- Flooding closes PSU fields, local business - 0
- Colebrook almost became an island Tuesday night - 0
- Flooding shuts down North Country highways - 0
- Flood watch and rain follow day of near-record temperatures - 0
- Lack of 'hot spell' has made for mild mud season so far in central NH - 1
- With rain on the way, flooding potential eyed - 0
- Londonderry classrooms flooded - 0
- Spring roads make the going tough - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ellsbury propels Yanks over Sox - 0
- Bruins shut out Wings - 0
- Phaneuf leads Derryfield laxers past Pelham - 0
- High School Volleyball results - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Teen recruited juvenile for burglaries - 0
- Cell phones, speakers stolen in separate incidents - 0
- House committee opposes bill to keep mental health records out of federal gun checks - 0
- Police say three lured contractor to robbery through Craigslist - 0
- Derry library's proposed 2015 budget moves forward - 0
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
High School Volleyball results
Bruins shut out Wings
Shaheen touts land conservation fund
Prepare to pay more to park in Manchester
Secret arrests? Not if we can help it
Latest Groton wind farm fight: Snow plowing