Home » Opinion » Editorials
That's a budget? A joke from the U.S. Senate
Senate Budget Committee Chairman Patty Murray, D-Wash., finally introduced a budget last week. The Hill, a Capitol Hill newspaper, offered some good coverage. "The first budget from Senate Democrats in four years includes nearly $1 trillion in new taxes but would not balance the budget," the paper reported.
Real Clear Politics reported that "(Rep. Paul) Ryan plans to erase the deficit in a decade through structural changes to Medicare and cuts to Medicaid spending, while Murray plans to tame - though not balance - it over the same time span through a combination of tax increases and spending reductions."
The Washington Post's editorial page wrote of the Senate budget: "Partisan in tone and complacent in substance, it scores points against the Republicans and reassures the party's liberal base - but deepens these senators' commitment to an unsustainable policy agenda."
The Post went on: "In short, this document gives voters no reason to believe that Democrats have a viable plan for - or even a responsible public assessment of - the country's long-term fiscal predicament."
After illegally refusing to produce a budget for four years, Senate Democrats finally offer one and it is an unbalanced joke. But look, Republicans are trying to reach out to young voters, LOL, OMG!!
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Clubhouse offers solace, structure for mentally ill - 1
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Veteran principal helps Manchester West High find its pride - 6
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Runners find strength in numbers, and within - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Welcome Home mat worn, but still welcoming - 3
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Casanova vs. the Dynasty - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: The story of a true American - 2
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Hillside community steps up - 3
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Hibernians cherish St. Patrick's Day as time to celebrate cultural heritage - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: She wants to keep walking - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fisher Cats, New Britain split - 0
- Ayotte praises first responders, veterans - 0
- Fremont man returned to face NH charges - 0
- Portsmouth Naval Shipyard holds change of command ceremony - 0
- Sons' overdoses spur father to share his story with others - 0
- Miller ready to spell, but doesn't want to go 'Dutch' - 0
- Weather to slowly improve over long weekend - 0
- 4 arrested in investigation of heroin sales in Portsmouth - 0
- Golf cart to make visits to veterans cemetery easier - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 25, 2013
Gun Review: Ruger 1-S .475 Linebaugh