Home » Opinion » Editorials
That's a budget? A joke from the U.S. Senate
Senate Budget Committee Chairman Patty Murray, D-Wash., finally introduced a budget last week. The Hill, a Capitol Hill newspaper, offered some good coverage. "The first budget from Senate Democrats in four years includes nearly $1 trillion in new taxes but would not balance the budget," the paper reported.
Real Clear Politics reported that "(Rep. Paul) Ryan plans to erase the deficit in a decade through structural changes to Medicare and cuts to Medicaid spending, while Murray plans to tame - though not balance - it over the same time span through a combination of tax increases and spending reductions."
The Washington Post's editorial page wrote of the Senate budget: "Partisan in tone and complacent in substance, it scores points against the Republicans and reassures the party's liberal base - but deepens these senators' commitment to an unsustainable policy agenda."
The Post went on: "In short, this document gives voters no reason to believe that Democrats have a viable plan for - or even a responsible public assessment of - the country's long-term fiscal predicament."
After illegally refusing to produce a budget for four years, Senate Democrats finally offer one and it is an unbalanced joke. But look, Republicans are trying to reach out to young voters, LOL, OMG!!
READER COMMENTS: 4
- In NH, overhunting of RINOs is causing problems - 22
- Another View -- Shawn Jasper: It is time to get to work for the people of NH - 14
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Read these books, OK? - 1
- Another View - Debra and Marc Tice: Give families a say in hostage policy - 1
- Thomas Sowell: Politicians betray us by betraying our protectors - 1
- Another View -- Ross Gittell and Jeremy Hitchcock: By focusing on student success, NH community colleges prove their value - 1
- Another View -- David Scannell: A justified federal civil rights action in Manchester's schools - 6
- Pat Buchanan -- Jonathan Gruber, honest liberal - 4
- Jonah Goldberg: Thinking about torture - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Former New London police chief settles with female accuser - 0
- Alleged parental kidnapper arraigned, ordered held on $250,000 cash bail - 0
- Reports: Celtics near completion of Rondo deal - 0
- Grid coach Cote, BG go their separate ways - 0
- Former owners of 'casualty' of Northern Pass file appeal - 0
- Holiday sales may recover with help of deep discounts - 0
- Wall Street has best 2-day gain since 2011 on Fed optimism - 0
- State Employees Association declares impasse in bargaining - 2
- Shipyard to hire 715 in next year - 2
Enter to win tickets to see Tom Chapin
BANANAS and NH's energy needs
Win tickets to see Linkin Park
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Power Plays: BANANAS and NH's energy needs