Home » Opinion » Editorials
That's a budget? A joke from the U.S. Senate
Senate Budget Committee Chairman Patty Murray, D-Wash., finally introduced a budget last week. The Hill, a Capitol Hill newspaper, offered some good coverage. "The first budget from Senate Democrats in four years includes nearly $1 trillion in new taxes but would not balance the budget," the paper reported.
Real Clear Politics reported that "(Rep. Paul) Ryan plans to erase the deficit in a decade through structural changes to Medicare and cuts to Medicaid spending, while Murray plans to tame - though not balance - it over the same time span through a combination of tax increases and spending reductions."
The Washington Post's editorial page wrote of the Senate budget: "Partisan in tone and complacent in substance, it scores points against the Republicans and reassures the party's liberal base - but deepens these senators' commitment to an unsustainable policy agenda."
The Post went on: "In short, this document gives voters no reason to believe that Democrats have a viable plan for - or even a responsible public assessment of - the country's long-term fiscal predicament."
After illegally refusing to produce a budget for four years, Senate Democrats finally offer one and it is an unbalanced joke. But look, Republicans are trying to reach out to young voters, LOL, OMG!!
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Easter, Pope calls for peace, condemns waste - 0
- Good Friday message resonates inside walls of prison - 2
- Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter - 0
- Inspiring sight in downtown Nashua on Good Friday - 0
- Salem church's Guatemala mission brings blessings - 0
- St. Margaret’s to remember veterans - 0
- Copter egg drop set - 0
- Passover marks time to celebrate faith, history - 0
- Construction begins on new Kingdom Hall for Jehovah’s Witness congregation in Manchester - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hooksett police charge local man in several BB gun complaints - 0
- Fire destroys Weare home - 0
- High winds cause power outages, fan fires across state - 0
- Downed wires spark brush fire that spreads to Manchester house - 0
- Fugitive nabbed as he checks out the weather - 0
- Bail set for TD Bank robbery suspect in Derry - 1
- Fetal homicide bill stopped in the Senate - 0
- Democrats worry about 'dirty tricks' - 0
- Truck pulls down power line, starts paint store blaze - 0
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
Michigan’s ban: Sotomayor’s ‘disadvantages’