Home » Opinion » Editorials
That's a budget? A joke from the U.S. Senate
Senate Budget Committee Chairman Patty Murray, D-Wash., finally introduced a budget last week. The Hill, a Capitol Hill newspaper, offered some good coverage. "The first budget from Senate Democrats in four years includes nearly $1 trillion in new taxes but would not balance the budget," the paper reported.
Real Clear Politics reported that "(Rep. Paul) Ryan plans to erase the deficit in a decade through structural changes to Medicare and cuts to Medicaid spending, while Murray plans to tame - though not balance - it over the same time span through a combination of tax increases and spending reductions."
The Washington Post's editorial page wrote of the Senate budget: "Partisan in tone and complacent in substance, it scores points against the Republicans and reassures the party's liberal base - but deepens these senators' commitment to an unsustainable policy agenda."
The Post went on: "In short, this document gives voters no reason to believe that Democrats have a viable plan for - or even a responsible public assessment of - the country's long-term fiscal predicament."
After illegally refusing to produce a budget for four years, Senate Democrats finally offer one and it is an unbalanced joke. But look, Republicans are trying to reach out to young voters, LOL, OMG!!
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Wounded veterans undertake rituals and 'soul care' - 0
- Thank a veteran on Saturday at Holderness barbecue - 0
- Theatre Under the Stars honors 'The Bard,' local fallen soldier - 0
- Family of World War I vet receives Purple Heart medal in ceremony - 0
- Struggle of returning female veterans is showcased in film playing July 29 - 0
- Mt. Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce soars - 0
- $17.6b request seeks to cover more efficient veteran care - 0
- He knows the Memorial Wall, name by name - 0
- NH veterans program targeted by 'baffling bureaucratic decision' - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
When company comes, opt for variety
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride