Home » Opinion » Editorials
An Editorial -- Joseph W. McQuaid, Publisher: Welcome them home
If you haven't had that chance, or if you would like to help say "thank you" to Vietnam veterans in a bigger way, then you should be in Concord Saturday at 2 p.m.
That is when a long-overdue official thank you from the people of New Hampshire is to be made to those who served honorably in that conflict and came home, sometimes to dishonorable treatment. It is also a way to say a quiet "thanks" to those from New Hampshire, all 228 of them, who did not make it home.
Maj. Gen. William Reddel III, Adjutant General of the New Hampshire National Guard, said it well this week.
"They never received a homecoming. There were no ceremonies or parades. There were no banners hanging from highway overpasses. No police escorts. They were shunned from the moment they touched down on American soil. Instead of being embraced at terminals across the country, many of our warriors slipped into a bathroom to change out of their uniform. As a nation, we treated them as outcasts."
The event to address that wrong is being held at the National Guard's Aviation Flight Facility on Regional Drive, just off Airport Road in Concord. It is free and the public is welcome. It probably won't last long, but taking place 40 years after it should have, it can't last long enough.
READER COMMENTS: 7
- Kathy Sullivan: Scott Brown’s prospects for a U.S. Senate win are poor - 16
- Deroy Murdock: A 'reset' with Russia that would get Putin's attention - 0
- Helen DePrima: How Obamacare worsened my health insurance - 18
- Jonah Goldberg: On Russia, Obama is stuck in the past - 3
- Ray Wieczorek: Joe Kenney is the man for the job - 1
- Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin? - 2
- Charles Krauthammer: The wages of weakness - 0
- George Will: The face of IRS behavior - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon' - 1
- Sheriff, chief question Shaheen’s recent vote on controversial Obama nominee - 0
- Low turnout seen in early Lakes Region polling - 0
- Goffstown residents slow to vote so far - 0
- Dover police convince local man to go to hospital for evaluation - 0
- Milton residents considering big issues at the polls Tuesday - 0
- Bedford man sentenced for lobster trap thefts - 0
- Voting is not just for adults in Windham - 0
- Voter turnout is low but steady in Bedford - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'
Manchester schools project budget surplus