Officials warn of dangers on the thinning ice
Like many other lakes in the area, the ice on Milton Three Ponds, especially near the shore and along the route of the Salmon Falls River, is disappearing in the warm spring sunshine. (JOHN QUINN/photo)
While ice still covers most of Sunrise Lake in Middleton, the waterway is starting to open up near the dam and dark spots can be seen scattered along the snow cover. John Quinn/Union Leader
That's the message from firefighters planning to conduct ice rescue training this week.
Rochester Fire Capt. Joe Burns said he hopes the training plunge into the Cocheco River will be the only time firefighters have to don cold water suits this year.
"We don't recommend anyone going out on the ice right now," Burns said.
Milton Fire Chief Nick Marique said parts of Milton Three Ponds are ice-free, especially along the Salmon Falls River.
"It's spring now, so it's not safe," Marique said.
Dover Fire Capt. Paul Haas said ice should be at least four inches thick for people to walk on it safely.
Lee Fire Capt. Scott Newett said firefighters are keeping a close eye on Wheelwright Pond, along Route 152, even though he hasn't seen anyone on the ice in the past week.
In the best of circumstances, Northwood Fire Lt. David Wakeman said it takes about a dozen firefighters to rescue a person who breaks through the ice. People sometimes get into trouble trying to rescue animals, he said.
"We go out for animals more often than people," Wakeman said.
While snowmobilers enjoy traversing Sunrise Lake in Middleton, dark spots are appearing in the ice, especially near the shoreline. John Quinn/Union Leader
While ice still covers most of Sunrise Lake in Middleton, dark spots signal the end of winter spots and herald the start of boating, fishing and swimming in warmer weather. John Quinn/Union Leader
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Volunteers sought to help with traveling tribute for Vietnam vets - 0
- Club Notes: Mercy Hathawaty White DAR plans 'Guest Day'; Woman's Service Club's program; 5 organizations receive Manchester Elks' donations - 0
- Keene theater to show NH-based movie 'Jumanji' as tribute to Robin Williams - 0
- Granite United Church baptizes 200 at Salem park - 0
- Summer Melon Salad with Mint and Feta - 0
- Mixing it up in the beer aisle - 0
- Homemade ice cream a delight for kids of any age in any era - 0
- Our Gourmet: Good food, good beer at Elm City - 0
- Isles of Shoals commemorated in weekend ceremony - 0
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Riding the indoor surfing wave
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
ISIS beheads NH journalist
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies