South School in Londonderry takes creative approach to 'Cinderella'
Next week, the talented young actors, dancers and stage designers will take to the stage for four performances of "Cinderella."
From the carefully choreographed dance numbers to the colorfully painted stage sets depicting the fabled pumpkin coach and the royal court, the show has truly been a labor of love, according to teacher Deanna Poulin, who serves as the drama club's staff adviser.
Rehearsals for the 75-member cast, which consists of fourth- and fifth-graders, began in October, Poulin said, with Tuesday afternoons devoted to play preparations.
Around 20 parents and staff members have assisted in the process.
Ashley Greenwood and Erin Bachelor will share the lead role, with Greenwood portraying the "rich Cinderella" and Bachelor portraying the "poor Cinderella."
"When I'm on the stage, it's like being in a whole different world," said Ashley, who plans to continue with theater when she goes to middle school next year. She hopes to one day star on Broadway.
Poulin said staff at the school got a bit creative with the casting in hopes of giving many children the opportunity to shine onstage.
Public performances of Cinderella will take place at South School April 11 and 12, with both shows starting at 7 p.m.
Two other performances will take place during school hours on April 10 and 11.
Though admission is free, any donations received will be used toward future drama club productions. The children will also be hosting a bake sale during intermission at both evening performances.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand - 39
- UNH's logo: Hip ... for now - 3
- Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice - 9
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Prizes & playoffs: Well done, UNH - 2
- Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA - 13
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Keeping public in the dark isn't helping find Abigail - 26
- The Peace Light: A Christmas reminder for all - 0
- Doing 'less with less' Is that Gov. Hassan's new motto? - 11
- Washington Jeanne: Will Shaheen face her state? - 44
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Driver was trying to kill himself
- Do you like the new University of New Hampshire logo?
- Total Votes: 383