UNH Manchester students welcome new Pope in Rome
Leading this group was UNH Manchester Professor Andrew Laurie Stangel, who said that the timing of the tour was fortunate, and took the group by surprise.
"We were fortunate to be in Rome for the 2057th anniversary of the Ides of March," Stangel said, "But to have been there during a Papal Conclave and the election of a new Pope is perhaps a once-in-a-lifetime experience"
Communication arts senior Amanda Turni was on the tour, and recalls as "unforgettable" the moment the Pope Francis was elected.
"The experience in Rome was the time of my life. I met awesome people, saw amazing art, and got to be a part of history," says Turni. I would go back now if I could."
The trip to Rome had been in the works for more than a year, as part of a program of art history study tours that Stangel coordinates. Students earn four credits while spending a week abroad during spring break and/or in July, between the two UNH summer terms.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New Hampshire Religion News in Brief - 0
- Clergy to take Ash Wednesday to the streets today in Concord - 0
- Roman Catholic Bishop Libasci offers his message for Lent - 0
- ‘Son of God’ attracting the faithful and movie-lovers in NH - 0
- Seacoast churches offer program introducing Episcopal faith - 0
- New Hampshire Religion News Briefs - 0
- New Cardinal Gerald Lacroix thanks his mom and dad - 2
- NH family cheers newly installed Cardinal Lacroix - 1
- New cardinal surrounded by love from NH - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Central breaks away from Exeter - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops tournament opener - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Official says Manchester lost out on $1.5m for cell tower court has now ordered built - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Derryfield's 'Mouse' made his mark - 0
- Rondo leads Celtics past Nets - 0
- Hats off to O'Neill, Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Maughn, Memorial top Londonderry - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Giampetruzzi leads Trinity into D-I semis - 0
Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Turkey vultures not commonly seen in NH until fairly recently
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief