Bishop Lobasci to honor state's health care workers
Joan P. Ouellette, a registered nurse from Hampton, will receive the St. Martin de Porres Award April 18.
Hampton registered nurse Joan P. Ouellette will be given the St. Martin de Porres Award at a reception immediately following the Mass.
The Catholic Healthcare Professionals in New Hampshire presents the award to a health care provider "who has exemplified the virtues of Catholic healthcare."
Ouellette was chosen as this year's award recipient for her long nursing career that included work at Good Samaritan Hospital in Suffern, N.Y., nursing homes in Amesbury, Mass.. and Laurel, Md., as a home health nurse in Vermont and school nurse in Virginia.
Ouellette most recently worked at New Generation in Greenland, where she obtained grant money and developed the shelter's parenting education program.
Now retired from New Generation, Ouellette continues to volunteer through Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal Parish in Hampton, where she collects Christmas gifts for women and babies at New Generation.
Her other volunteer activities include helping serve bereavement meals and making meals for the local soup kitchen.
The White Mass is a special event to bless health care professionals and "affirm the profound service they give to the sick according to the model of Jesus Christ."
It will be celebrated at 6 p.m. in the cathedral at the corner of Pine and Lowell streets.
The reception will be held at the New Hampshire Institute of Art.
Those interested in attending the reception should contact Beth Squeglia at email@example.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
- Dave Solomon's Power Plays: Who knew what and when in PSNH scrubber case? - 0
- Story of Marine Memorial at Hampton Beach begins with Bill Downs - 0
- Immigrants include ethnic dishes at their Thanksgiving table - 0
- Puritans in America: Daniel Webster on religion's role - 0
- Mitt Romney is out front, but says he's not running again - 0
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
Person found dead in Manchester alley