Home » News » Public Safety
Rochester firefighters back at scene of last week's 2-alarm fire
While firefighters used water and foam to extinguish the fire, Zombeck said crews had to return Monday evening after a hot spot hidden within the debris re-ignited in the basement area.
Last Thursday's fire, reported at 3:08 p.m., destroyed a vacant home and scorched more than an acre of swampy woods off Chestnut Hill Road.
"Right now, we're considering it suspicious," Zombeck said. The building was not connected to any power lines, he said.
Zombeck said firefighters remain concerned how quickly the fire spread into nearby woods. The second alarm was sounded to bring additional personnel to prevent the fire from spreading further.
Due to the proximity to Route 16, which had to be shut down briefly, and easy access along an old road behind the Lydall plant, firefighters were able to reach the site and pump in water from a hydrant on Chestnut Hill Road.
Local crews were assisted by firefighters from Barrington, Dover, Durham, Farmington and Somersworth and forest rangers from the state's Forest Protection Bureau, which is part of the N.H. Department of Resources and Economic Development. Firefighters from Farmington, Milton and Rochester provided station coverage.
Zombeck said during the past week, the state determined the fire danger to be high - a 3 on a scale of 5 - but he anticipates fire-danger levels to increase as warmer temperatures continue to dry out the area.
For more information or to view the daily fire danger level, visit www.nhdfl.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 0
- Heroin overdoses claim two in Laconia - 0
- Concrete chunk falls onto sidewalk from Elm Street building in Manchester - 0
- Traffic, parking complaints related to Hollis farm stand - 0
- Crews still working on replacing poles after accident - 0
- Woman, 56, struck by car in Laconia accident - 0
- Manchester police investigate two crashes involving two cruisers - 3
- Boy on scooter hits moving vehicle, taken to hospital - 0
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Two more Keene State College students charged in riots - 1
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Commodore Nutt takes D.C. by storm - 1
- School's out for voters - 2
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 19
- Senate battle attracts 17,000 TV ads in NH - 2
- Jonathan E. Benedict - 1
- Drew Cline: GOP missed opportunities could mean trouble on Tuesday - 4
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Demaryius Thomas is x-factor for Broncos' offense - 2
Trump fired up over NH mailer