Old Man celebration today at Profile Plaza
"Granite Staters will always remember exactly where they were ten years ago when they heard the sad news that the Old Man of the Mountain had been lost," said Shaheen and Ayotte. "This resolution is a fitting tribute to the Old Man, who will continue to live on in the hearts of the people of New Hampshire."
The iconic rock face collapsed May 3, 2003. Building a replica was considered, but a task force headed by former Gov. Steve Merrill ultimately decided to leave the mountain as it was.
A celebration will be held today, according to the Cannon Mountain website, which says the Old Man of the Mountain Legacy Fund is hosting a 10th anniversary tribute from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Profile Plaza in Franconia Notch.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Senior Briefs: Londonderry Senior Center has a long lineup of art classes this month - 0
- Nashua girl takes state bee title for the second time - 0
- Early summer rental benefit as winter takes its toll - 0
- Susan Dromey's Down to Earth: The winter of our fashion faux pas - 0
- Deb Baker's The Mindful Reader: 'The Half Brother': complex, thoughtful - 0
- Forest Journal: Winners & losers: Keeping score of wildlife in winter - 0
- Dick Pinney's Guidelines: Ice fishing great under right conditions - 0
- Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Thrush sighting brings rush of excitement - 0
- Win tickets to see Pat Benetar and Neil Giraldo - 0
Last Week's Rare Bird Alert
Harrigan closes up camp
Donna Powers: NH needs casinos
Anthem breach will haunt NH 'forever'
Reading lessons from the Supreme Court