Old Man celebration today at Profile Plaza
"Granite Staters will always remember exactly where they were ten years ago when they heard the sad news that the Old Man of the Mountain had been lost," said Shaheen and Ayotte. "This resolution is a fitting tribute to the Old Man, who will continue to live on in the hearts of the people of New Hampshire."
The iconic rock face collapsed May 3, 2003. Building a replica was considered, but a task force headed by former Gov. Steve Merrill ultimately decided to leave the mountain as it was.
A celebration will be held today, according to the Cannon Mountain website, which says the Old Man of the Mountain Legacy Fund is hosting a 10th anniversary tribute from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Profile Plaza in Franconia Notch.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- After board OK's extension, Manchester mayor slams Hooksett tuition offer - 1
- Operation Santa helps disabled, elderly residents - 0
- Salem Christmas Fund donors - 0
- Farm movement founders honored at community agricultural day ceremony - 0
- Salem High opts out of federal program in effort to get more students to buy lunch - 0
- Villa Augustina parent board says Goffstown schools not only prospective buyer - 0
- Goffstown schools eyeing former Villa Augustina building - 0
- Jack Savage's Forest Journal: Howling in suburbia: Coyotes and the 'Beau Geste' - 0
- Whiskey jacks and camp at Unknown Pond - 0
NH's fishing industry staggered
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.