Old Man celebration today at Profile Plaza
"Granite Staters will always remember exactly where they were ten years ago when they heard the sad news that the Old Man of the Mountain had been lost," said Shaheen and Ayotte. "This resolution is a fitting tribute to the Old Man, who will continue to live on in the hearts of the people of New Hampshire."
The iconic rock face collapsed May 3, 2003. Building a replica was considered, but a task force headed by former Gov. Steve Merrill ultimately decided to leave the mountain as it was.
A celebration will be held today, according to the Cannon Mountain website, which says the Old Man of the Mountain Legacy Fund is hosting a 10th anniversary tribute from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Profile Plaza in Franconia Notch.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Early summer rental benefit as winter takes its toll - 0
- Susan Dromey's Down to Earth: The winter of our fashion faux pas - 0
- Deb Baker's The Mindful Reader: 'The Half Brother': complex, thoughtful - 0
- Forest Journal: Winners & losers: Keeping score of wildlife in winter - 0
- Dick Pinney's Guidelines: Ice fishing great under right conditions - 0
- Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Thrush sighting brings rush of excitement - 0
- Win tickets to see Pat Benetar and Neil Giraldo - 0
- Win tickets to see Black Label Society - 0
- Last Week's Rare Bird Alert - 0
Harrigan closes up camp
Win tickets to see Black Label Society
Judge: State wrong to round blood-alcohol level; license of teen charged with hitting women restored
Donna Powers: NH needs casinos
Anthem breach will haunt NH 'forever'