Enforcement blitz greets opening of 2013 ATV season in Claremont
"Specially-trained officers will be performing safety checks and enforcing speed limits, registration laws and other violations of the NH OHRV Statues," he said. "The patrols will take place on a regular basis until late autumn."
Until mud season ends May 23, all ATV trails are closed with the exception of Sugar River Trail, he said.
The enforcement program is funded by the NH Fish and Game Department.
"The goal of the Claremont Police Department program is to reduce the number of OHRV accidents and create an atmosphere that is more attractive to families who wish to utilize recreational trails for hiking, bicycling or ATV-riding" Scott said.
Reminders, Sugar River Trail has a speed limit of 25 miles per hour, the trail next to Washington Street has a speed limit of 10 miles per hours. OHRVs must be registered annually, trailbikes and OHRVs rider are not to emit noise exceeding 96 decibels and removing, destroying, defacing or obstructing signs and markers on trails is a misdemeanor.
People with questions regarding OHRV call police at 542-9538 or can visit the Sullivan County ATV Club website at www.sullivancountyatv.org or Fish and Game at www.wildlife.state.nh.us.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Oystering in New Hampshire - 0
- Rock and Roll Hall of Farm inductee and icon Gregg Allman to receive the Living Legend Award - 0
- Loeb School Offers Communications Boot Camp - 0
- NH Senior Briefs: AARP co-hosting forum on starting or growing a small business - 0
- Rivier University exhibit to feature castings of historic sculptures - 0
- Close to 100 work on projects for 'We Build it Forward' - 0
- Community comes together to work on custom dream home for NH veteran's family - 0
- Weare's history comes alive at 250th Celebration - 0
- Kids take on obstacle course to help family of terminally ill child - 0
NH couple hit slot for $2.4m in Las Vegas
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Food stamp loophole not a go in NH
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem