It's not fair as heat sidelines fun rides in Stratham
Joel Karam of Goffstown and Mason cool off at Glenn Lake in Goffstown during Thursday's heat wave. (DAVID LANE/UNION LEADER)
With a heat index that soared above the century mark in parts of southern New Hampshire, fair officials decided to close down the rides for a few hours in the afternoon.
Epps, of Kittery, Maine, told her kids they would still have fun even without the rides, but they weren't so sure.
The heat and humidity made things miserable for anyone who worked or played outdoors Friday, but as hot as it felt, forecasters said the state capital didn't break a record.
But the heat index, which combines the heat and humidity to measure what it actually feels like outside, soared above 100 in some places, said James Brown, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Gray, Maine.
"It will still be pretty warm, but things should get better after that," Brown said.
Temperatures should approach 90 or higher today before the front arrives and kicks off a round of showers and potentially severe thunderstorms by midday or early afternoon.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Flash flood warning issued for Southern New Hampshire - 0
- Rare tornado touches down in Revere, Mass., no deaths reported - 0
- Severe weather strikes across Granite State - 0
- Restaurant foundation destabilized by high water raises Route 3 Bridge, downtown Colebrook flooding concerns - 0
- Winchester roads ravaged by heavy rain - 0
- Despite heavy rains, tornado warning, Nashua OK - 0
- Wild weather strikes Granite State - 0
- Perfect weather predicted for weekend events - 0
- NH braces for a soaker, flash floods as Arthur moves up coast - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Weekly brother gave police wrong name